Tuesday, January 13, 2009

IVF #3 is officially underway

First, I want to ask you to please go give Erin some much needed support. She got a negative beta today on her 5th IVF. She is a wonderful person who is having a hard time right now.

Today I had my appointment to discuss my IVF #3 protocol. It went really well. We did the trial transfer and then I spent about 20 minutes or so with my nurse going over the timing of everything. According to my severe TYPE A planning, I should be starting this shebang on or around January 25th with retrieval somewhere between February 5th - 8th. I think the protocol we are using is called a Flare Protocol. No BCPs for me - THANK GOODNESS - they gave me such bad heartburn last time. One day 1 I will begin Lupron and an antibiotic. On day 2, I'll add 2 injections of Gonal-F. This will continue until Day 6 when I have my first ultrasound. Antibiotic stops after day 7. They will adjust my meds after the Day 6 ultrasound if needed. Then, we'll plan for a day 13 retrieval, day 16 transfer and day 18 cryo-preservation. Sounds pretty perfect, huh? One can hope....

I really like my new clinic. On my protocol sheet, they even tell us the last time we can "do it". That's pretty funny - who wants to have sex when you are in the middle of an IVF cycle? Maybe it's just me....but that made me laugh.

Sweet Rita, my nurse, was very patient with all of my questions. We discussed the fact that I'll do Pogesterone Oil this time, which I've never done before. She said she'd teach R how to do it and then show him again a day or 2 before retrieval, so it would be fresh on his mind. She also was super positive. She said - You'll do the Progesterone Oil beginning the day after retrieval until you are about 6 weeks pregnant or more. Wow - the old clinic would have never said that. She just put a very positive spin on everything. The woman is a gem!

So - a few questions for my fellow IF sisters -
  1. Have you ever done a protocol similar to this?
  2. Have you used Gonal-F? I've only used Follistim or Menopur in the past.
  3. Any weird things I can do to make this cycle better than the past ones? I'm taking Omega 3 Fish Oil and seeing a chiropractor/nutrionist.
  4. Any advice on the Progesterone Oil? This seems pretty scary to have an IM shot...
  5. I have a box of 21 - 100mg Endometrin vaginal inserts. Anyone need them? You can just post a comment with your email address or email me at tara-dot-smith-dot-adkisson at g-mail dot com.

Also, wanted to share a bible verse I found on a blog this week. I saved it and have been reading it and focusing on it a lot the past few days.

A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bone. Proverbs 14:30

Love to you all!

**Correction - I have 2 boxes of the endometrin if you need them.***

18 comments:

Just Believing said...

Best of luck!

www.wondrafulbaby.blogspot.com

Michelle said...

Good Luck! I hope everything goes well!3rd times a charm...right?

Megan said...

Wow. I bet it feels good to get going on the new protocol. I don't have any advice on your questions. Good Luck!!!

Anonymous said...

I have used Gonal F. It didn't burn as much as the Follistim and Menopur, so that is a bonus!

PIO - lets just say it is a pain in the ass. A literal one. But if it works, right?

Shelby said...

I am wishing you so much luck! This new clinic will give you a fresh new start. I can imagine that along with that comes new hope. I'll keep you in my thoughts!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to see you're starting your new cycle. Best of luck to you! Hope this new protocol works well for you, and it's great that you like your new clinic so much. You can handle the PIO shots (I just went ahead and did 'em myself) -- they do get tiresome, but anything that helps get the job done.

Anonymous said...

Good Luck!

Sam said...

Good luck! We'll be thinking of you and praying for you!

Sam (GreenEggs)

AnotherDreamer said...

I don't have any advice, but I am so glad your cycle is getting underway! Best wishes sweetie!

Tammie said...

I'm so glad you like the new clinic. Look how happy and positive you are! I think this will be a new year for you.

Anonymous said...

Good luck this cycle! In answer to a couple of your questions:

I've read that royal jelly and bee pollen help egg quality, most effective if taken for three months before retrieval. CoQ-10 is also supposed to be helpful.

I've done the PIO shots twice now and they're really not that big a deal. My DH does them since I'm not a contortionist. Ask your awesome RN to draw circles on your bum so you know where to do the shots. Ice the area for about 10 mins until your skin is numb. After the shot make sure you move your muscle, whether you walk around for a couple mins or just swing the leg back and forth a couple dozen times. We did the shots in the AM so the muscle was moving more than if we did it right before bed. Some people recommend a heating pad after the shot, but getting the muscle moving was more effective and quicker. If you have sensitive skin, alcohol swab after the shot and don't keep the bandaid on longer than you need to, or you could end up with a really itchy bump.

It's not as bad as you think it'll be.

Angie said...

Yay for a positive nurse ~ good way to start things off! Thanks for sharing the bible verse too....I needed that this AM. You will be in my prayers, best wishes!!!

Tiffany said...

So excited for you! Looks like you and I are embarking on #3 around the same time. My new protocol has gone MUCH better, I hope the same for you.

Lost in Space said...

I'm glad you had a great appointment and are happy with your new clinic.

I am doing a flare protocol too this cycle, but with BCPs. I guess my RE rarely does this protocol without BCP as there was no wiggle room when I asked about not taking them. Lucky you. (-;

This will be my 3rd cycle with gonal-f and it is very easy to use.....just dial the dose and go. One thing I didn't realize at first is that even though the pen might be a 900IU pen, there is actually more in there so make sure to use every last drop, even if it means injecting twice (once from old pen and once from new).

I have never done PIO either, only Endometrin. I am fully stocked and then some, but if this cycle actually works and you still have some leftover, I might be interested. (-;

Good luck, Tara!!! Oh, my estimated ER is on 02/07 so we are right on the same schedule!

Phoebe said...

I did a micro-dose flare protocol with a micro-dose (dilute) of Lupron. Sounds like your's might be different.

I'm going to be doing PIO also for the first time for my frozen embryo transfer. I have done IM shots before, but not for PIO. I think the key is getting them in the right spot. They go in lower than you think. Have the nurse draw circles on your butt.

I will take you up on your offer of your Endometrin! I'm going to be doing both Endometrin and PIO. My e-mail address is phoebephoenixtales at gmail dot com

Anonymous said...

The Gonal-F pen works a little different than the Follistim- when starting a new pen you have to just waste some to "initiate" it, that amount is not included in whatever amount your pen is(read the directions, b/c the first time I didn't and had to be stuck twice)

PIO shots- they're a breeze...I've been doing them for about 6 weeks now. I ice for about 20 min, and I don't even feel it! Don't worry about it, you'll do great!

Best of Luck...

bb said...

I am doing a microdose flare protocol. So Day 1 I started a diluted dose of Lupron and Day 2 I added Follistim. It sounds similar to what you will do, although not sure if you might be on the full dose of Lupron.

And the PIO for me has been OK, although last time I didn't take them too long before they had me stop for several reasons. I did find it helpful to move around or rub the spot a litte while after the shot. I just take a deep breath as the needle goes in and the rest seems to be fine. But that might just work for me.

Goodluck with everything!!

Maredsous said...

I have just finished a flare protocol, but the Dr. had me on BCPs because of the holidays.

My flare protocol was
21 days BCP
2 days lupron
11 days 225 follistim and 225 menopur

I stimmed much better than the last cycle with very decent and increasing E2, but in the end only 4 follicles. 1 egg no fertilization. But I am going to be 42 so I think you will have much greater success than I did.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.